For any planning their next Wwoof adventure, a few farming tips:
- A pitchfork is a fork not a spoon. One’s natural inclination is to shovel hay; it should actually be speared.
- A farmer’s hands are his best shovel. I think mine are still better suited to word processing.
- Fill a wheelbarrow from the corners in.
- Do not close the door to the goat pen behind you when you let them out for a walk. They might wish to return early.
- The EU will pay a subsidy if you cut your hay by hand. (I’m pretty sure the US Department of Agriculture subsidizes only for quantity.)
- Cows are really, really big.